The stores near me have been selling some really good looking zucchini lately, so I’ve been taking advantage of the season (and cheaper prices) and buying 4 – 5 zucchini every week. And sometimes more! Zucchini is probably used just as much as cauliflower in low carb cooking, and this house is no exception. The past couple of weeks I’ve made spaghetti zoodles, zucchini crisps, baked Parmesan zucchini, and this recipe for zucchini fritters.
Zucchini fritters, or zucchini pancakes, are delicious warm or cold, and sturdy enough that you can make them ahead of time and grab them on the go. My mom used to make these when I was little and my brother and I would fight over the last one… but then again, we fought over everything. I’ll never claim to be as good a cook as my mom, but these low carb versions of her recipe come in a close second. Love you mom!
Normally we eat these as a side to whatever protein I cooked that night and just sprinkle with some salt or grated Parmesan. However, we have topped these with an egg, sunny side up, and OH MAH GAWD… the combination is the most delicious explosion of flavors I’ve ever tasted. As I’m writing this, I wish I had made at least one egg to take a picture for you guys. I’ll make a note to make these some time soon and post to my Instagram feed; give you guys some good yolk porn.
I’ve seen some people try them with sour cream, so I did decide to experiment for this post. You know… for all of you! I tried a few with plain sour cream, dill dip, and artichoke and jalapeno dip. All of them were really good, but I much prefer topped with plain old salt or the egg.
Let me know in the comments if anyone has a favorite topping for these, or even a favorite version of the fritters themselves! Oooh, I just had the bright idea to try adding cheddar cheese next time! Gotta write that one down!
Low Carb Zucchini Fritters
- 2 – 3 large zucchini
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground, black pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste (or 2 cloves mashed)
- a couple dashes of red pepper flakes
- 3 lg eggs, slightly beaten
- vegetable oil, or favorite frying oil
1. Grate zucchini.
2. Place zucchini in colander/strainer and sprinkle with salt. Mix slightly and let sit in sink for 10 – 15 minutes.
3. Place zucchini in a kitchen towel and wring out excess liquid. Cheese cloth, or the mesh rice bags are good to wring out water too.
And when I say wring… I mean wring until your hands hurt. And then wring some more. Here’s why:
4. Thoroughly mix together: zucchini, coconut flour, Parmesan cheese, onion powder, black pepper, chopped chives, garlic paste, red pepper flakes (to taste), and slightly beaten eggs.
I always mix this with my hands because it’s so much fun! Kidding, it’s squishy and cold, but it gets the job done.
5. Heat oil over medium heat. Using about a 1/4 cup of zucchini mix, form into balls and place in hot oil.
6. Flatten with a spatula and fry on one side for 2 minutes.
7. Flip fritters and fry for another 1 – 2 minutes.
8. Place fritters on paper towels to absorb some of the oil.
9. Sprinkle with some salt and eat as a side with your favorite entree, top with sour cream, or as mentioned above, try these topped with an egg, over easy.
This recipe makes 9 – 10 servings. Based off 9 servings, per serving this came to about 190 calories, 3 grams net carbs, 5 grams of protein, and 18 grams of fat. I used the MyFitnessPal recipe creator to calculate nutritional information. Nutritional values may change based off the ingredient brands you use, and of course, the size/number of servings you make.
I hope everyone enjoys! Let me know what you think in the comments!
Please don’t mind the mess.
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be grateful if you’d help me by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook. Thank you!