When colder weather starts setting in, I start gravitating towards soups, stews, and chili. And this family is not afraid of spice (except for my youngest), so this 5 Alarm low carb chili is sure to warm you up! If you like a milder chili, you can easily halve or quarter the spicy spices (chili powder, cayenne, paprika).
And I promise, you won’t even notice the absence of beans. Before Keto I never had chili without beans. I was surprised to learn that it’s the spices that make a chili, not the beans. And I don’t miss them from this recipe at all!
I love starting this early in the morning and letting it simmer on low in the crock pot for the rest of the day. Coming home to the heady aroma of chili perfection gives me a warm happy feeling inside.
If you want to skip the video and instructions with pictures below, and just want to jump straight to the written recipe, click here.
5 Alarm Low Carb Chili
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 tbsp diced jalapenos
- 2 cans Rotel tomatoes and chilis (20 oz)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz) – optional
- 10 oz beef broth
- 4 tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp garlic paste (or 3 – 4 garlic cloves)
Video Demonstration (written recipe with pictures below):
There is music in the video, so mute your volume (or turn it down) if you don’t want to hear it or would get in trouble for watching a video at work.
1. Partially brown 2 lbs of ground beef.
2. Halfway through browning, add diced yellow onion, bell pepper, and jalapenos. Cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add stewed tomatoes. If desired, use your spatula or spoon to break the tomatoes into smaller chunks.
4. Continue browning until beef is done and then drain.
5. In a crock pot, add beef broth, 2 cans of Rotel tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, paprika, oregano, cinnamon, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic paste. Mix well.
6. If desired you can add the can of tomato sauce at this time. If you make the recipe as is, I recommend it. If you toned down the spices though, then I suggest leaving it out as it might make your chili taste to tomato-y.
7. Add celery and ground beef mix to the crock pot and stir well.
8. At this point, you could simply warm up the chili and eat it as is. I think chili tastes better the longer it cooks though, so I recommend cooking on low for 6 – 8 hours.
9. Top with your favorite chili toppings and enjoy!
We were able to get 8 servings out of this recipe at about 1 – 1 1/2 cups each. Using a calculation of 8 servings, this recipe came to 301 calories, 11 g net carbs, 25 g protein, and 16 g fat per serving. If you wanted to reduce the carb count even more, I would recommend leaving out the tomato sauce, stewed tomatoes, and only using half of the yellow onion.
I used the MyFitnessPal recipe creator to calculate nutritional information. Nutritional values may change based off the ingredient brands you use, and of course, the size/number of servings you make.
I hope everyone enjoys! Let me know what you think in the comments!
Please don’t mind the mess.
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be grateful if you’d help me by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook. Thank you!
5 Alarm Low Carb Chili recipe minus the story:
Music – The Place Beyond the Clouds by MindsEye is licensed under a Attribution-Share Alike License.