When I first started low carb, one of the many many things I was sad to give up was this recipe for sweet and spicy pulled pork. I make pulled pork quite often as it’s pretty cheap and easy to make, it fills everyone up, and there’s always plenty of leftovers for lunches the rest of the week. My favorite recipe calls for honey though and so I thought it was a thing of the past… that was, until about a month ago when I found out there is such a thing as sugar free honey!
It took me awhile make the plunge on it though. For one, it’s kind of pricey. For two, I was nervous about how it would make the recipe taste after cooking for 8 hours. Some sweeteners taste funny when heated. I was very happy to find out the taste is the same! I couldn’t believe it! I seriously can’t tell that I’m using sugar free honey at all!
And as always, my taste testers, carb eaters all, loved it! They were also happy to see it back on the menu.
I highly encourage everyone to try this recipe. You won’t regret it!
If you want to skip the video and instructions with the pictures, and just want the written recipe, click here.
Sweet and Spicy Pulled Pork
- 4 – 5 lbs pork shoulder/roast
- 1 med yellow onion (all I could find this time was a very large one, so I only used half of it)
- 4 tbsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 3/4 cups of sugar free honey (I found this at WalMart)
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
Video Demonstration (written recipe with pictures below):
There is music in the video, so mute your volume (or turn it down) if you don’t want to hear it or would get in trouble for watching a video at work.
1. Mix all dry ingredients in a medium bowl: paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and thyme.
2. Add sugar free honey, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. Mix well, at least one minute.
3. Slice onion into large chunks and place at the bottom of a medium or large slow cooker. Set the pork shoulder on top of the onions.
4. Pour sauce over the pork shoulder. It should be quite runny, this is okay.
5. Cook on low for 8 – 9 hours. Shred pork using two forks. The pork should be very tender and easy to shred.
6. Stir pot a final time.
7. Serve with low carb coleslaw, or over some pork rinds for low carb nachos. Enjoy!
Your portion size will vary on this depending on the size of your pork shoulder. We were able to get 10 servings out of the batch I made for this video. If I had to estimate, I’d say they were 1 – 1 1/2 cups in size.
Using a calculation of 10 servings, this came to about 447 calories per serving, 3 grams net carbs, 32 grams of protein, and 27 grams of fat.
I used the MyFitnessPal recipe creator to calculate nutritional information. Nutritional values may change based off the ingredient brands you use, and of course, the size/number of servings you make.
I hope everyone enjoys! Let me know what you think in the comments!
Please don’t mind the mess.
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be grateful if you’d help me by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook. Thank you!
Sweet and Spicy Pulled Pork recipe minus the story:
Music – Rave New World by Flex Vector is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License.