Guacamole is one of those recipes that if you didn’t know better, you wouldn’t realize just how easy it is to make. I certainly never gave much thought to making it myself until I started my foray into more whole foods and less processed. I used to love Wholly Guacamole’s line of guacs until I started making my own. In fact, I was pretty oblivious to exactly what it was even made of! A friend had me half believing it was made of frogs!
I now make fresh guacamole weekly and will never go back to store bought again (and no, there are no frogs involved). Guac goes great on everything! I use it to top my low carb quesadillas, fajitas, and burgers with; but, you can also use it in deviled eggs, chicken salad, and ceviche. I also like to dip pork rinds in it for a quick snack!
For this recipe you really only need basic ingredients: avocados, red onion, cilantro, roma tomatoes, limes, garlic, and salt. From there you can jazz it up with different ingredients (for example, add chopped jalapeno for a spicy guac), but those are what you need for a good base.
This is very much a “to taste” recipe. I do recommend using each of the ingredients, but the amounts are completely up to you. Below is how I typically make my guac.
- 3 medium avocados, diced
- a little over 1/4 of a red onion, diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- 1 – 2 limes, juiced (enough for 1 – 2 tbsp)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
Video Demonstration (written recipe with pictures below):
There is music in the video, so mute your volume (or turn it down) if you don’t want to hear it or would get in trouble for watching a video at work.
1. Dice red onion and tomatoes and put in a medium sized bowl.
2. Juice 1 – 2 limes and set aside (enough juice for 1 – 2 tablespoons).
3. Dice 3 avocados and add to bowl.
4. Add lime juice, salt, cilantro, and garlic paste to bowl.
5. Go crazy with a fork! Mash away, making the avocado as smooth, or as chunky, as you like.
6. Use this delicious guacamole to top your favorite entree, or as a dip for your favorite low carb snack! I love it with pork rinds!
Do you have a favorite guacamole recipe? Or a favorite way to eat it? Let me know in the comments below!
Please don’t mind the mess.
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be grateful if you’d help me by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook. Thank you!
Music – Saturday by Maxwell Powers is licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike License.