This recipe is great if you’re in the mood for some comfort food. I love a good casserole, but with potatoes being nixed on a low carb diet, it’s hard to think about decent replacements. I know there are recipes out there with decent alternatives (eggplant, parsnip, sweet potato, etc), but my youngest is still in his picky eater phase so my replacements in this recipe are cauliflower and broccoli. And besides I like saying caulibroc. My creamy caulibroc chicken casserole certainly hit the spot the other night when I was craving a big bowl of cheesy comfort! And it’s always nice when Aidan cleans the plate with little fuss… well, less fuss then usual.
I’m going to just jump right to the recipe today. I hope you guys enjoy it! Please let me know what you think, I welcome the feedback!
If you want to skip the video and instructions with the pictures, and just want the written recipe, click here.
Creamy CauliBroc Chicken Casserole
- – 1 – 2 lbs chicken thighs
- – 1 lb frozen cauliflower
- – 1 lb frozen broccoli
- – 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- – 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- – 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- – 1 – 2 tbsp garlic salt (or to taste)
- – salt and pepper (to taste)
- – 1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
Video Demonstration (written recipe with pictures below):
If you want to skip the video and jump straight to the written recipe without pictures, click here.
There is music in the video, so mute your volume (or turn it down) if you don’t want to hear it or would get in trouble for watching a video at work.
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Heat 1 – 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium low heat. Add chicken and season with desired amount of salt, pepper, and garlic salt. Cook for 7 – 10 minutes.
3. Flip chicken, season again and cook for another 7 – 10 minutes. Chicken is done at an internal temperature of 165° F.
4. Remove chicken from pan and set aside to cool slightly. Leave chicken drippings in pan. Adjust temperature of burner to low and add 3/4 cup of heavy cream and the can of cream of mushroom soup.
5. Stir well. Simmer on low, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
6. While that is simmering, dice chicken.
7. In a large bowl, add frozen cauliflower and broccoli, creamy mushroom sauce, and diced chicken. Mix until well blended.
8. Add 1 cup of cheddar cheese and mix well.
9. Pour bowl into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
10. Add a bit more cheese to the top of the casserole and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
This recipe makes 6 servings, each about a cup and a half of casserole. I just divided the pan evenly into 6 sections. Using a calculation of 6 servings, this came to about 413 calories, 8 grams net carbs, 30 grams of protein, and 27 grams of fat per serving.
I used the MyFitnessPal recipe creator to calculate nutritional information. Nutritional values may change based off the ingredient brands you use, and of course, the size/number of servings you make.
I hope everyone enjoys! Let me know what you think in the comments!
Please don’t mind the mess.
If you enjoyed this post, I’d be grateful if you’d help me by emailing it to a friend, or sharing it on Twitter or Facebook. Thank you!
Creamy CauliBroc Chicken Casserole recipe, minus the story:
Music – Amerigo Mancini by Marsel Minga is licensed under a Public Domain License.